Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Housing Woes

For those of you who may not know, Alan and I have been trying to find a house since moving back to Knoxville.  Right now we're living with his parents (you may be surprised by this, but let me just say, Alan's parents are wonderful and we get along great!) which we think has been ideal because it has allowed us to save while also giving us the flexibility to buy a house whenever we feel ready.  Well, we found one we really liked, waited to see if the price would drop (which it did twice!), and then made an offer! After going back and forth a few times with the sellers, we were able to get the house at the price we wanted, Yay!

Then came the home inspection.

I will say, our desired neighborhood is an older one so we knew there were likely going to be a few issues with the house but thought: no big deal, we'll just fix up those things over the next several years.  Well, it looks like if we still want this house, there are some pretty big items that will need to be fixed pronto.  So... this is where we are now.  Going back to the sellers with our contingencies of what we would like them to fix prior to us signing our life away on the dotted line.

Making the decision to buy a house is a really big step which Alan and I have also found that so many people have varying opinions on.  However, from the get-go we made a commitment to each other that we would listen to the wisdom and advice of others, but ultimately do what is right for us.  I was put at ease when my mom reminded me that God has a plan for us, and while it is sometimes hard to wait for that plan to be revealed, we need to just trust that this will work itself out.  So, to be continued...

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and hope."
Jeremiah 29:11

1 comment:

  1. I really want you guys to move in, but I think you are going about it the right way! It will work out if it's supposed to. In the mean time, just move in with us :)

    ReplyDelete